sexta-feira, 2 de agosto de 2013

In Search of the Synagogue

In Search of the Synagogue Part I


http://judaism.about.com/od/beliefsandlaw1/f/nobeitdin.htm


How does the lack of a Beit Din affect the legitimacy of a conversion? - 



Question: Can women be counted in a minyan to recite the Mourner's Kaddish prayer?
Answer: You ask about women's participation in Reform Jewish practice and, also, about the need for a minyan (quorum of ten adult Jews) to recite the Mourner's Kaddish.

One of the founding principles of Reform Judaism has been the equal participation of women in all aspects of religious practice. Over the last two centuries, Reform Judaism has adopted changes in its practice to increase women's participation in ways that reflect changes in society. Women have been allowed to participate in synagogue ritual (1811), to be counted in a minyan (1845), to sing in synagogue choirs (1845), to speak from the pulpit (1928), to sit together with men in the synagogue (1929), and to be ordained as rabbis (1972).

The Kaddish originally was a prayer marking the end of liturgical sections of the synagogue service. Traditionally, it is only recited in the presence of a minyan and only by men. During the medieval period, the Mourner's Kaddish became associated with mourning and has since become the primary prayer associated with Jewish mourning, recited daily during the eleven Hebrew months following the death of a near relative.

In most Reform congregations, the presence of a minyan is not absolutely necessary for the reciting of the Kaddish, but is considered highly desirable. The need to have a minyan at a shivah service is stressed in most Reform congregations. I generally encourage mourners to attend services at the synagogue whenever possible to recite Kaddish, but to recite it privately at home (without a minyan) when it is not. There is absolutely no distinction between men and women in the recitation of the Kaddish in Reform practice.

Best wishes,
Rabbi Jeffrey W. Goldwasser
In Search of the Synagogue Part II
[In Search of the Synagogue Part II: The Temple Destroyed; The Synagogue Takes a Turn [70c.e.–4th century]
To understand the evolution of the synagogue in Roman-occupied Palestine, an interview with Lee I. Levine, professor of Jewish History and Archaeology at Hebrew University and author of The Ancient Synagogue: The First Thousand Years. 

Labels

Blogroll

Search

Popular posts

Protestante por consciência calvinista e zuingliana, um teísta remanescente (cristão integrado na Oholyáo de YÁOHU UL/Ele-Ela) antinominiano esteta ecuménico e inclusivo

Blogger templates

Blognovela - Simplismente Layla

Capítulo 1: De volta ao passado oco Capítulo 2: Varão em perigo Capítulo 3: Desodorante Roll-on Capítulo 4: Travesti de Satanás Capítulo 5: Tragédia em Cristo Capítulo 6: Evangelizando na Cadeia Capítulo 7: Direto para o Inferno Capítulo 8: Inimigo Misterioso Capítulo 9: Ataque Satânico
Capítulo 10: A Noite da Concepção (revelação da paternidade de Layla Camila) Capítulo 11: O tempo não pode apagar
Capítulo 12 - Final: The End (o fim em inglês)


Fluir.tv
edsom on livestream.com. 


A minha Lista dos meus blogues

Número total de visualizações de páginas


Blogger templates

Inspiration Report
If your brothers in Christ were to describe you in one word, what would it be?
In many old letters, I noticed several friends wrote down that when they think of me, they get the word: “happy”. Warmed my soul.
It reminded me of a statement that an old roommate made about me last year: “I can’t ever imagine you depressed.” It floored me, because I wasn’t always like this. I spent a lot of my youth just generally bummed out about life. And then in my 20s, I was always lamenting whatever I didn’t have.
However, something about my 30s has filled me optimism. I wish I could tell you what it is, but I simply determined to enjoy my life. I want to be happy. I seek out happy things, and miraculously happiness seems to find me.
Pastor and author Joel Osteen is famous for speaking up for happiness and the importance to practice it every day. You can’t wait for circumstances to get better. You have to create your own good fortune. So look for ways to be happy every day.
“Seek and ye shall find.” Read the follow-up blog: What Makes You Happy?
More Wisdom from The Osteens:Joel Osteen on the Creative Power of Words Become a Better You Victoria Osteen Says ‘Love Your Life’
Read more:

This Week on Hour of Power - Easter 2011 from Crystal Cathedral Ministries on Vimeo.

Hour of Power Ep. 2151 - Full Hour from Crystal Cathedral Ministries on Vimeo.